Thursday, April 12, 2012

Crock-pot freezer meals

After spending a long day running errands, taking care of business, and going to school, the last thing I want to come home to is an hour of food prep then cooking a meal that my son likely won’t eat as it is. Spending a few hours on my weekend to prepare a full set of crock-pot meals I can freeze and pull out as I need is super helpful. Here is how I did it.
You Need:
  • Zip-lock freezer bags
  • Meal ingredients
  • Permanent Marker
  1. Find all the ingredients for your crock-pot meal. In some cases, such as chili, you may need to do some cooking before you can prepare the meal to freeze.
  2. Place everything in your meal-- leave out ingredients such as water, or other liquids to your pouch-- they do not freeze well. This will mean a lot of vegetable chopping, recipe reading, and ingredient listing to ensure a complete meal.
  3. Zip-lock the bag shut and write the name of the recipe, what ingredients are still needed, how high, and how long it should cook for on the bag.
  4. Freeze your crock-pot meal in a bag and pull out the next time you need a quick meal.

Here's all the veggies and meals I prepped for future meals. I filled them full enough, and froze them laying down just as showed in the picture so I could break them into halves for two meals.

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome idea. Pre-making meals has always been a fantasy of mine but I don't have the freezer space.

    ReplyDelete