Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Let's talk about food

I know it's been awhile since I posted anything here. We've been going through a bit of a rough patch, but things are finally starting to smooth out. So, to get back on track, let's talk about food. I'll start. 

Hi, I'm Nicole. I have an eating disorder-- I over eat. I love food. I have a degree that lets me play with food. I love to make food. I love to write about food. I love the smell of (most) food. I love food. Really, that isn't anything new. But maybe now that I've said it, someone else will too. 

For those that don't know, my son was recently given the the official diagnosis of autism. Along with it, he has always had food challenges, an indication that something might not be right to begin with. Either textural or taste issues, I'm not really sure, but we're working it out through the food therapist. Yes, my son goes to a food therapist to learn to eat properly. One of the first things that we learned in therapy is you have to own your relationship with food. Without pinpointing why you do with your food or other things that you eat as food that aren't really edible, you have to label it. Slap a big ole' sticker right on it that calls it like it is. That's correct, I'm fat because I over eat. This is your food beast. 

Now, imagine someone that has several beasts, all conflicting, all tearing at each other because they do or don't want something. That is my son's eating disorder. Some of his beasts are textural, some are taste, others are smell and a couple are temperature-- those are the truly difficult ones to beat because his brain has trouble wrastlin' with the fact that he can like something one way but not the other. 

In a nutshell, "Hey." We've been wrestling some demons lately over here, and we'll talk about food demons a lot. There will also be some fun things too. I write for life, from life so there will food reviews, Pinterest fails, and other food awesomeness along the way. Stick around. It's a bumpy ride-- like rocky road-- but it'll be a tasty one. What are your food beasts? 

4 comments:

  1. I have a food blog too that I desperately need to get back to. Thanks for sharing and I will definitely follow you!

    Susan Dusterhoft
    Today's Working Woman/Recipes for Today's Working Woman
    http://todaysworkingwomanrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make me some food, darn it. ;) Can't wait to see you posting more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Guys! Taylor, what would you like to eat? What sort of food should do YOU want to talk about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like blueberry muffins. Not just your regular blueberry muffins, but quadruple blueberry muffins... filled with so many blueberries that the muffins come out of the oven looking purple. mmmm -oooh, are italian food! My favorite!

      Delete